Sunday, October 12, 2014

Learning Objects

I vividly remember taking a test in the eighth grade that measured spatial reasoning. We never got the results back but I’m pretty sure I failed it. One part of the test was a bunch of gears drawn together with an arrow showing the direction in which one of the gears was turning. From that drawing we were to decide which way another gear (selected by the test) would turn. I pretty much just guessed on every single question. While I was searching for some learning objects, I came across this one on gears which would have been helpful for me to see many years ago.
Gears by nevit. http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/752459/

Watching this learning object, I can easily see that every gear turning clockwise causes the adjacent gear to turn counterclockwise. Seeing these gears in action one time would have allowed me to perform much better on the spatial reasoning test.


The interactive learning objects are probably my favorite. They allow learners to select the content that is new to them without making them revisit what they already know. Simulation allows the learner to dedicate his or her time in exploration to acquire new knowledge. Interactive learning objects are also beneficial to learners as they give immediate feedback and sometimes allow users to manipulate their learning environments.

No comments:

Post a Comment